Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Quick, Easy and Frugal Mittens

The weather has been very cold here lately.  It seems to have been cold EVERYWHERE!  The gloves and mittens have mysteriously disappeared, too!  We had some in the fall.  Enough for everyone.  Since my gloves got passed down to a child, I decided to make some more. 

I had this cashmere sweater that I had found at a thrift store in Michigan last winter.  I had already made some leggings from the sleeves so I cut out some mittens from the body of the sweater.   Using my sewing machine, I stitched these up in no time. 

You could use an old sweater.  If it is wool, it could be felted first.  Just make a pattern from your own hand.  Remember to add enough for a seam allowance and room for that seam allowance in the thumb, especially.  Otherwise it will be too tight.  Have fun!  Let me know if you make some.  It would be fun to see your creations, too!!







Have a great day!

1 comment:

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Hi Gloria! I have a bunch of thrift store wool sweaters, felted, that I am going to make bags out of, but we keep having mittens turn up lost so I am for sure planning on making some mittens, just can't get to it. This encouraged me to just do it!

How are you doing?