Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Peaches!

It's that time of year again when my favorite variety of peaches is ripe.  At our local peach farm, the Ruby Prince variety is in season.  So we all went down there and gathered the culls (the rejects) and came home with a pile of peaches, about 125 pounds!  The culls are only $5 for a 25 pound box.  So it is easy to get a lot, maybe too much?

 We got those 3 boxes plus 2 containers.  Here we are scalding the peaches to remove the skins, then cutting them off of the pit. 
 It is a messy, sticky, time-consuming job.  All of the family pitched in to help!  We put the peaches in water with citric acid, lemon juice, to keep them from turning brown.  Thankfully, Julia took some pictures.  My hands were way too sticky to pick up my camera.  She was a great help too, you just can't see her in these pictures. 
 Then I made peach jam.  I also canned peaches for desserts and smoothies.  Some peaches went into the freezer but most were canned.  This in only half of the peaches.  The rest are waiting in the outside frig to be made into tasty jam. 
I really love making our own jam.  I don't buy any jam from the store but make all of our own every year.  It is a lot of hard work but the benefits last all year long! 

What have you been up to lately?  Please feel free to leave a comment, I would enjoy hearing from you!

No comments: