Monday, October 31, 2011

Sometimes, life doesn't go as planned....

We had grand plans for the weekend!  The bags were packed, the food made and ready to go.  Fun, fellowship and shopping!  Not to mention touring and catching some beautiful fall color in North Georgia. 

But, then...yes, plans had to change. 

Thursday night I experienced the worst RA flare-up in all the 15 years that I have had it.  The pain was so intense, I couldn't move my limbs.  Slowly it eased as Bob faithfully prayed for me.  It, unfortunately, left me swollen, painful and minimally functioning.  No trip for us.  We were all very disappointed.  There wasn't even a Plan B of seeing some people on Sunday.  I still couldn't leave the house. 

The very good news is that today I am feeling much better!  I can function and certain joints no longer look like things that belong in buns with ketchup and mustard!! 

Through all of this a thought has emerged.  It seems we (some of my immediate family?) have fallen into the trap of looking for the next social engagement as the highlight of our days.  Living for the next "fun" event.   Can we, should we, be content with each day as a gift from God and enjoy the work, chores, family time and quiet of each day as much as a "social event"? 

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yes, I believe we should!  The example that we see all around us is living for entertainment.  That we are only truly happy if we are having "FUN".   Get through the work week so we can "PLAY" on the weekend.

This verse leads me to believe otherwise!  Every day can be joyful and we can be glad  in it!  Even if that means working hard and fulfilling our responsibilities.  We can be peaceful and content daily. 

(Please don't misunderstand me, disappointment over a lost trip is normal and to be expected.  But are we balanced in our outlook on life?  Are we just as content and happy being at home as we are out at a social event?  Food for thought...)

So, sometimes life doesn't go as I had planned, and that is OK.  I am seeking to be peaceful, happy and content today as I teach my children, cook our meals, fold laundry and all the other things I do on a regular basis. 

Today is a good day!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Have a joyful day, wherever you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post Gloria. Our family does often feel pressure to run from one activity to another by well-meaning friends. Although we enjoy the activities, I think that it can breed discontent when the calendar isn't filled up with things to do, places to go and people to see. As I look at folks that live this constant "on the go" lifestyle, I've noticed their children are no longer content just to have a quiet evening at home with the family. There always has to be something to do or somewhere to go. Yet the Lord cautions us to 'Be still and know that I am God.'
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this and for the encouragement to not have to go with the flow. Hope you feel much better soon.

Victoria