Monday, January 5, 2009

True Religion

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
I was inspired this morning by a post by Miss Jocelyn. The Weekly included this verse. Yes, yes, this is the essence of the Christian life.

Doing a little study in the Strong's concordance shows me that the word "require" (H1875) is defined as: properly to tread or frequent; usually to follow (for pursuit or search); by implication to seek or ask; specifically to worship.

"Do" (H6213) means do or make. "Justly" means (H4941)From H8199; properly a verdict (favorable or unfavorable) pronounced judicially, especially a sentence or formal decree (human or (particularly) divine law, individual or collectively), including the act, the place, the suit, the crime, and the penalty; abstractly justice, including a particular right, or privilege (statutory or customary), or even a style.

"Love" (H157) means have affection for. "Mercy" (H2617) means kindness.

So what does God want us to frequently seek and do? Do justice, make a verdict or have a style of right. Have an affection for kindness. And walk in humility with my God.

Wow! That seems simple but is really a mouthful. Is my life characterized by right decisions and actions? Do I choose the easy road or follow the straight and narrow way that leads to righteousness? OK. I usually do that.

Do I have an affection for kindness? Is my life oozing kindness or do I easily judge someone who is not just like me? I don't mean condone sin, I mean am I kind? Would my children name kindness as one of my character traits? If you can't say Amen, say ouch.

Do I walk humbly before my family and others? Is my way the right way? Could I be more gracious and put away pride? OK, Lord, I'm convicted here. Help me to be what you want me to be.

When poeple hear you speak, would they know you are a Christian? Is God foremost in your life? How does God change your life for the good? Does He help you through troubled times and answer your prayers? These are some questions I have been pondering lately. I so want God to shine through me to others. Lord, work through me today.

What about you?

Gloria

1 comment:

The Cole Family said...

Wonderful post, Gloria. Amen.